Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Farm Box

One of my favorite songs as a child went a little like this:

Old MacDonald had a farm
Ei-ei-o.
And on that farm he had a bougie box full of organic goods that he sent to some lazy ass city folks,
Ei-ei-o.  


Anyway.  A friend send me a discount code a couple of weeks ago to sign up to get my own box of organic goods delivered to my doorstep once a week.  After much resistance for years, I decided to try it. 

Why the resistance?  It just doesn't seem cost effective to me.  Approximately $35 for a box of produce that I don't know if I'll eat?  I can just go to the store and buy some produce for less.  I can pick what I want.  SAFEWAY HAS WHAT I NEED!

But, of course, these boxes are organic.  Have local things in them.  And we know organic and local things taste pretty damn good.  There are some other discoveries I made along my way...

(The box.  My foot.)  

I ordered the box from Full Circle Farm (http://www.fullcirclefarm.com) located in Snoqualimie Valley, approximately thirty miles from my home.  Local.  Good!  I am supporting local businesses and eating local foods.  I am officially a good person!  Woot!  Woot!  A regular sized box usually runs around $37 per delivery.  This one was about $22 because of my discount. 

The box arrived by 6am this morning.  It was kind of like Christmas morning.  I couldn't sleep thinking about my box arriving.  I crept downstairs right at 6am and brought my box up to break into.  It included the following things:

Roma Tomatoes, Organic - 1 pound
Bunched Orange Carrots, Organic - 1 bunch
Broccolette, Organic - 1 bunch
Shallots, Organic - 0.5 pound
Baby Spinach, Organic - 0.33 pound
Cremini Mushrooms, Organic - 0.4 pound
Green Leaf Lettuce, Organic - 1 bunch
Green Kale, Organic - 1 bunch
Navel Oranges, Organic - 4 each
Mangos, Organic - 1 each
D'anjou Pears, Organic - 3 each
Braeburn Apples, Organic - 3 each


I ate one of the apples for breakfast.  Good.  Fresh.  Solid. I brought an orange to work for lunch at work.  I actually don't like oranges (the sensory experience is way too much for me..sticky hands, juice everywhere, the work of peeling it...) but this one was good and I had wet wipes with me to clean up my hands afterwards. 

I was a little irked that it wasn't all local, but I guess I didn't read the fine print.  You can chose to have things exempted (I requested no more oranges!) but you can't request to had things added that I know of (which sucks cause I REALLY wanted beets!)  But, it makes me feel a little bit better that some people do have to get some mangoes from Peru and they're not hating life over it and feel confident enough in them to deliver them to us, the loyal consumers. 

Really though, this is an experiment.  The price is one thing.  But how do the other things stack up?

Convenience gets an A Plus Fuck Yeah.  It's like a Christmas present to wake up to.  Got me out of bed.  LOVE IT.  I don't have to go to the grocery store for these items.  I just wake up, put on a muu-muu and step out on the porch. 

Another helpful thing is that it's high quality and I want to eat it.  I also want to eat it because I spent a ton of money on it, so I feel obligated not to waste my money.  BAM, instant access to health food that I will feel guilty NOT eating.  Win win. 

Because it's mostly locally grown, I have a feeling it will keep longer in the fridge.  But I guess we'll see.  

It's definitely a luxury.  I don't know if I'll keep on it forever, but the plan now is once a month at the beginning of the month to see how it goes.  I have a feeling it will make my diet healthier in general. 

For example, my stupid farm box was all I thought about all day at work.  So when I came home, I threw a bunch of it in a pan and steamed it with oil and broth. 


Then I decided to pack it for lunch tomorrow so I'll feel fuller during the day and not eat bagels and cream cheese at every possible interval.  


Brocollini, tomatoes, mushrooms, with nutritional yeast on top.  Plus my finger pointing to it, for fun.  

Anyway, I'll let you know how this experiment goes.  So far I'm stoked.  We'll see if it lasts. 

No comments: