Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ke$ha: Personal Finance Guru?




Following Trent’s from The Simple Dollar’s lead (http://www.thesimpledollar.com/) I have been putting some serious thoughts into inspiration lately.  Who inspires me?  What inspires me?  There are many things.  Most of these things are dull.  Ke$ha is pretty high up there on the inspiration list, financial and other wise. 
I’m not going to spend this post calculating the pennies per use for toothpaste vs. a bottle of Jack Daniels, but I will bring you the solid lyrical evidence of why Ke$ha can set an example for us twenty-somethings trying to party and live well.  

First of all, the name:  Ke$ha.  K-E-Dollar $ign-H-A.  I don’t know if it gets any better.  I know it’s been a sign of controversy, but from a personal finance perspective, she really does represent for the symbol of currency.  

Starting with her first hit, “Tik Tok”, Ke$ha states:  

“Drop top and playing my favorite cds, rolling up to the parties, trying to get a little bit tip-ssssyyyy.” 
How can Ke$ha afford to get tipsy?  Because she listens to CDs.  (I mean, in all honesty, she probably does get her drinks for free, but that’s not the point in this example.)  Many of us think of CDs as ancient, a lost form of musical representation.  The eight-track of the 90’s, but not nearly as cool.  Ke$ha name drops CDs with no shame.  Ke$ha doesn’t NEED a goddamned I-Pod, folks.  She doesn’t need to tell the world she’s better than everyone else because she has a little pod full of shit she purchased off of I-Tunes.  Hell, Ke$ha has FAVORITE CDs.  She may not even have an I-Pod hook up in her car, which probably means she drives an older model, which is probably paid off.  



Later, in Tik Tok, she states “Don’t got a care in the world but got plenty of beer.  Ain’t got no money in my pocket but I’m already here.”  

Ke$ha shows in this statement what she really values:  beer.  This proves a couple of things.  The first is that Ke$ha is not against drinking beer.  She doesn’t need any damn Cristal or Grey Goose.  Give her a 6 pack (or more) and she’ll be just fine.  This statement also alludes that she values fun, and supposedly, friends.  Even when she doesn’t have money in her pocket, she can value the experience for what it is.  She’s not going to sit in the corner complaining that she has no money.  She’s going to party, be carefree, and probably dance.  



“You build me up, you break me down, my heart it pounds, yeah you got me…”


You’ve got me, Ke$ha.  



**MORE FINANCIAL TIPS FROM KE$HA TO COME…STAY TUNED!**

3 comments:

jane said...

Did you write this whilst drunk? It is awe$ome. Heh.

Alleybug said...

In the defense of ipods, I would like to point out that the cumulative dollar value of a healthy cd collection far outweighs the purchase price of an ipod, which can be stocked (like ours) with cds from the library and tracks burned from friends. There is also the beauty of pirated music. However, i would also like to point out that you Ke$ha entry is rad.

JackieOhNassis said...

I'm betting Ke$ha burns her shit though...pretty unethical, but generally cheap.