Monday, March 9, 2009

Making the Most Of Your Sick Days

Today I am sick and staying home from work.

It sounds silly, but there ARE efficient ways to stay home from work due to illness that will save you money in the end. Luckily at my job now I get sick time, but I still, of course, want to minimize my time away.

Here are some things that I learned in the past couple of years:

1. Stay home BEFORE you get too sick. I very well could have gone in to work today. It wasn't going to be a very busy day, so I could have handled it. But I didn't. Why? Over-exerting myself today would have just made my illness worse for the rest of the week. By tackling it just as it is coming, I am saving myself time later in the week.

2. Spend your time actually RESTING. I have a tendency to want to get things done when I have time off. But this is not the way that sick time is meant to be spent. Today I really want to clean my house and go to the store and go exercise. No. These things will not contribute to my wellness. My job today is to sit around, take naps, and drink tea.

3. Avoid sugar and bad foods. This is hard. But really helpful. Sugar just makes you hold the sickness in longer. Or something like that.

4. Use remedies that work for you. I am a big fan of Zicam Zinc Nasal Swabs. The earlier you use them, the better. I'm also a big fan of airborne, but I am starting to think that it tastes really good, meaning it probably has a ton of sugar in it. I am going to look into getting some Vitamin C Tablets today instead.

5. Take care of yourself when you do return to work. Make sure you eat healthy, drink plenty of water, and continue with helpful remedies. I will be going back tomorrow, most likely, and I will have to make sure that I don't over-exert myself. I will also be taking it easy after work tomorrow and as long as I can.

6. It sounds like a no-brainer, but DON'T go out with your friends. In the past on sick days I would be like "Oh, I'm sick, but I want to be social, so I'll go have some bitters in soda water or a screwdriver or something." Bad, bad. Really. Avoiding rest and drinking alcohol is probably the worst thing that you can do. If you want to be social...well, don't. Wait until later. I know it's hard.

Okay. Now that is said, I am going to go rest now. And drink more tea. And take vitamins...

No comments: