Friday, December 12, 2008

I'd Like To Buy The World a Coke


I like Coca-Cola. I always have. But, it is pretty bad for you. Really. And kind of expensive for what it is.

Really, you should be drinking water. It is good for you and nearly free. But, sometimes people don't LIKE to drink water. Sometime I don't like to drink water. So I have a stash of Coke Zero in the fridge. I drink one every once in a while, but try not to make it a habit.

At the moment Coke has a promotion going on. Any Coke product that you buy comes with a promotional code. Once you have this code, you go to http://www.mycokerewards.com, register for an account, and enter the codes. It will give you points.

The points are good for all sorts of crap you don't need. But, they're also good for free Coke! Honestly, buying the Coke really isn't worth the points, but if it is something that you're going to do anyway, you may as well take advantage.

For example, right now I have 80 points. That seems like a lot, right? Well, not exactly. For 24 points I could get a 20 oz bottle of Coke. So right now I have enough for three twenty ounce bottles. Not bad.

My strategy for this? Scavenge. Yes, it's tacky. Yes, it's a little gross. But who cares? Maybe the word scavenge isn't quite right. Collect? Beg?

If I am walking down the street and I see a 20 oz bottle of Coke that someone has littered, I pick it up, take off the top, and put it in my pocket. Sweet. I have done this several times. Also, if you're at a party and see a potential Coke point source just sitting there, take it! (Unless you know the host collects them. But they probably don't rule at life, so don't count on it.)

This is how I got so many points. I probably have purchased maybe 20 of those 80 points. Maybe. Mostly it is by being tacky and a little gross. But eh.

So go on! Next time you see a bottle of Coke just sitting on the sidewalk, take off the cap, take it home, and enter it. Or, at the very least, give it to me.

1 comment:

Jack Attack! said...

Hah! I thought I was the only one whe did this!!