Sunday, October 12, 2008

Working less is more.

It's been a while, mostly because I have been working too much. I have one full time job where I often work overtime. In addition to this, I work as an independent childcare provider (aka babysitter) in my "spare time".

This, of course, has its good points and bad points. Given that my regular job pays me under what I think I should be getting (but, I guess we all probably think that about our jobs, huh?) I feel the need to work extra child care jobs to make extra and easy money. And it is easy money. Enjoyable, too. It is nice to be able to help a family by providing quality childcare for them. It is also nice to spend an evening with kids and then watching tv or reading after they go to bed. It is nice to connect with people that I have known a long time. Some of these families I have been in contact with for several years.

But, there's also the bad. For example, a couple of weeks ago I had a babysitting job on a Thursday evening. I got off of work at 3:30pm (I worked eight hours without a break.) Then I had dinner out with a friend. It was nice, of course, but let me tell you, for saving money and ruling at life, eating dinner out is not ideal in this situation. We were rushed because I had to get to my job by 5:30. The restaurant was chosen hastily. I was hungry and exhausted for work, so I probably ate much more than I needed to.

After dinner I went to my babysitting job and it was wonderful. But guess what? It threw me off for the next day, as well. Because I baby-sat until 8:30, when I got home I was too tired to make lunch for the next day. Meaning that I had to spend money at the grocery store buying a prepared frozen dinner that I wouldn't normally buy.

While it might not be the smartest thing to babysit, as it throws me off, I really do enjoy it. In the end, I definitely am able to save more money than I spend. But I try to be aware that even though I am working extra and making money, it is generally not as good of a deal as it may seem to be. Though I get money and enjoyment out of it, sometimes I just need to CHILL. I need to sit at home with my cat and just MAKE DINNER.

Luckily, on this Sunday, I have the best of both worlds. I am babysitting in my home for a wonderful toddler, who will probably nap for part of the time. We will get to read books, go for a walk in my neighborhood, and just chill at my home. This is definitely nice. The extra money, of course, will be nice too, because sometimes you just need it. This month's extra expenses have thrown me for a loop. But, my friends, that is quite another entry...

No comments: