Friday, October 3, 2008

Phone-y is the new communication.

I broke my phone last night.

Well, I didn't break it. It died. Death, oh death of a phone. It's not pretty.

Let's start at the beginning. Around two and a half years ago, I was rocking a Nokia 3390 with a red cover. It was pretty sweet, except for the fact that people kept teasing me about how "ghetto" it was. And, it was getting old. I started craving a new phone. One with pictures! Sound recording! Sweet ringtones! One where a picture of a person would come up every time they called! And if someone I didn't like called, I could set it to a picture of something ugly! YES!



So I traded in that little Nokia 3390 for a Motorola Razr. Oh, how trendy I was. Then everyone started getting Razrs. They were all the rage.

But, as time went on, the fancy-schmancy internet phones started to make it big. And here I was, little old me, with my old Motorola Razr. "It's about time to renew," I thought. "I should get a fancy internet phone. Even if I don't use the internet, it could have a calendar on it. I need a calendar! After all, my PDA just broke! Yes! A phone with a calendar and and Mp3 player." This is what I wanted.

My PDA broke a couple of months ago. It was nice to have, a nice gift from a family that I used to nanny for. As nice as it was and as disappointed as I was when it broke, it's been pretty refreshing switching back to a paper calendar. To not bury my nose inside something electronic at every spare moment.

I don't need to be cool phone-wise, anymore. I mean, really. First I'd get a Blackerry. Then I'd get the internet for it. Then I'd start ignoring my friends in real life. Then I wouldn't be able to stop. Blackberries. I-pods. I-phones. Then I'd get a computerized car. Work from home. Not ever talk to people. Ever! No. I do not want that.

So I went into the T-Mobile store today. I went up to the salesperson and told him that I needed a new phone. He asked me what the most important feature was. I told him that the most important feature was that it was a free phone. The next most important feature would be that it can call people. Then a camera. It would also be excellent if it was a purple phone.

He hooked me up. He did well. All it cost me was dedicating another 2 years of my life to Tmobile (formerly known as Voicestream) and $19.26. Not bad. I have been with Tmobile for 8+ years now, and still only pay around $25 per month on a family plan. You really can't beat that.

As nice as it'd be to have a fancy-ass Blackberry and start ignoring people, I am learning to be happy with what I have. Not just accept it, but embrace it. Just look at my collection: My Walkman and Discman, which both play music for me when I need them to. (Don't worry, I have rechargeable batteries for them.) My paper calendar, full of its beautiful chaos. My simple new and almost-free phone. But best of all...well, best of all, I don't know. That's a whole lot of stuff to be carrying around in my purse. But I am ruling at life, so I don't mind.

No comments: